Based in Mansfield, Portland College provides specialist education for learners with disabilities, aged 16+. They aim to improve the employability, independence and communication skills of all their students. The college first opened their doors in 1950 and have been going from strength to strength since then, increasing their portfolio of services and supporting more students. We have worked in partnership with the college for nearly 20 years, during this time, we have helped keep them on top of all advances in NEC technology to ensure all their communication requirements are met.
They previously had an NEC Aspire system, which served them well for over 10 years but this system had reached its capacity of users and became ‘end of life’ in 2010, meaning the handsets and parts were no longer supported. The account manager, Malcolm roe, then evaluated the requirements for the college and decided that the SV9100 would be the ideal replacement. Once confirmed, our engineers were swiftly dispatched to install the system in Jan 2018 during Christmas/New Year break period to avoid disruption to the students. The college had recently completed a fibre optic network to connect the multiple buildings together on the premises, this allowed us to introduce a full IP solution.
Due to the size of the campus, we utilized their Wi-Fi network to deploy Wi-Fi phones that connected to their existing network to allow staff to be able to communicate from anywhere around the large campus. This has helped college staff carry out their administrative duties more effectively and efficiently.
- End of life system – expensive to maintain and parts not supported
- Cordless phone setup became dated and connection strength was weak or dropping for staff in certain areas of the campus
- Infrastructure was showing signs of aging as faults started flagging up, this lead to increasing maintenance costs
- College was expanding and needed a more powerful phone system to handle their usage
- Upgraded them to the SV9100 phone system to give them the full range of features and more than enough capacity to keep growing.
- Added IP handsets to the network to make it easier and more efficient for staff to communicate, this also gave staff the freedom to relocate their handsets around the building without any reconfiguration or external support.
- Introduced SIP technology to cut call costs
- Replaced cordless telephone with Wi-Fi handsets to utilize existing infrastructure and cut unnecessary costs of numerous cordless access points
“We have been with Dalys for a long time now and they have continued to provide us with a superb service. Our previous system was getting old and started to become unreliable. Malcolm gave us all the information we needed and managed our upgrade very professionally and fit the installation in with our schedule. The service desk has also been very helpful and on-hand to deal with any system changes or enquiries when required."